Changing the curriculum of Psychology in the U de Chile
There are some important changes that I would like to
make to the curriculum of Psychology in the Universidad de Chile. In the
current curriculum we have very little opportunity to learn the practical
aspects of the psychological practice. Instead of that, we dedicate too much
time, in my opinion, to sociological, philosophical and historical perspectives
about the general characteristics of our postmodern time. I don’t think that
this is irrelevant, but the practical side is import too and receive very
little attention.
So, I will introduce at least two courses where you
can see how therapy is actually done and get some opportunity to practice the
clinical abilities, at least, for example, with the other students playing the
role of a hypothetical patient.
In relation to the teaching methods, I think that they
have to change in the direction of more proactivity by the students. The majority
of classes are still dictated in the old format of a teacher exposing contents
and the students passively taking notes and making a few questions. For the
future practice of the profession, I think, it’s important that the students
learn from the begging to take an active role, more similar to what they will
be doing in the future.
I don’t think we need more technology to do that. We don’t
need others faculty facilities as the ones we already have. What we need is
only a different perspective on how to prepare the students for their future professional
role.
That's interesting, Tomás. I think that the sociological, philosophical and historical perspectives are necessary to be a good professional. I think we need to know not just about our discipline, but I think you have a very good point. Our career is very theoretical and it will be very good if we have more practical activities.
ReplyDeletei think maybe we can have all this subjects but maybe we need others to. I say that because a like this subjets, but we can take this in other faculty and construct my own curriculum especialy in psycology. In arts, philosofy or medicine we have sou many coinsidences and we can work in multidiciplinary sapce in the same tame. i take subjets in other faculty and is a very interesting experience, and i will used this in my carrer.
ReplyDelete